Following the death of the policy holder, the way in which proceeds from a life insurance policy are paid to the beneficiary (or beneficiaries) is known as the settlement option.
And you might be surprised to learn that there are a variety of settlement options available besides the most common method—a lump-sum payout.
Depending on the life insurance company and policy, these options may be selected by the policyholder ahead of time or chosen by the beneficiary upon the insured’s death. Whether you’re the policyholder or beneficiary, it’s important that you understand these options in order to maximize the policy’s financial benefit and reduce potential taxes.
Here are six popular life-insurance settlement options:
1. Lump-sum: The beneficiary receives the full death benefit all at once in a single payment.
2. Interest Income: The insurance company retains the original death benefit and makes interest-only payments to the beneficiary. The original benefit may be paid in full to the beneficiary after a certain time period or to a contingent (alternate) beneficiary upon the primary beneficiary’s death.
3. Fixed Amount: The beneficiary is paid a fixed amount on a regular basis until the total death benefit (plus any interest accrued) has been paid out. If the beneficiary dies before all of the funds have been paid, a contingent beneficiary may receive the remaining amount.
4. Fixed Period: The beneficiary receives regular payments of both principal and interest over a fixed period of time, typically up to 30 years. If the beneficiary dies before the time period is over, the remaining balance may pass to a contingent beneficiary.
5. Life Income: The beneficiary receives guaranteed payments over the remainder of his or her life. The amount of the payments is determined by the insurance company and based on the beneficiary’s age and gender. The payments continue until the beneficiary dies. If he or she dies earlier than expected, the insurance company keeps the unpaid amount.
6. Life Income Period Certain: Unlike the life income option above, where payments stop when the beneficiary dies, this option guarantees fixed payments for a certain time period such as 10 or 20 years. If the beneficiary dies before the term expires, a contingent beneficiary may receive the remaining payments.
What about taxes?
Life insurance payouts made in a lump sum are not subject to income taxes. With other settlement options that payout in installments over time, the original death benefit (principal) is not taxed, but any interest that accrues IS taxed as income when it is paid to the beneficiary.
Choosing a settlement option
As your Family Startup Lawyer™, we can advise you on the settlement option that’s best suited for your particular needs. We can also support you in putting in place planning tools like trusts to protect the proceeds once they’re paid out. Schedule a Family Wealth Planning Session™ today to learn more.
Like what you're learning?
Sign up for our free newsletter
Notes from the Chief Counsel's Desk
and get more legal insights sent directly to your inbox.
Sign up for our free educational event on
Legal Life Planning
to learn how you can protect your loved ones and assets when something happens to you.
This article is a service of Sky Unlimited Legal Advisory PC, Family Startup Lawyer™. We don't just draft documents, we ensure you make informed and empowered decisions about life and death, for yourself and the people you love. That's why we offer a Family Wealth Planning Session™, during which you will get more financially organized than you've ever been before, and make all the best choices for the people you love. You can begin by calling our office at (650) 761-0992 today or book online to schedule a Family Wealth Planning Session and mention this article to find out how to get this $750 session at no charge.
Having a will simply is not enough. It doesn't guarantee the care of your children if the unthinkable happens! See how we do it differently...
The strategies that are appropriate for protecting your assets are different for every family. Check out our proven process that gives you peace of mind...
Our unique legacy process gives your loved ones a precious gift - a lasting expression of your love. Find out what we offer with every plan...