Your Rights as the Parent of a Young Adult - What You Need to Know When a Medical Crisis Hits

As a parent, you are most likely quite accustomed to managing the legal and medical affairs of your children, as circumstances require.

If your child requires urgent medical attention while away from you, a simple phone call authorizing care usually can do the trick.  But what happens when those "children" turn 18 and are now adults in the eyes of the law, and they are suddenly in need of urgent medical attention far from home?


The simple fact is that the day your child turns 18, he or she becomes an adult and has the legal rights of an adult.  What this means for you is that you lose your prior held rights to make medical and financial decisions for your child, unless your child executes legal documents giving you those rights back.  Without the proper legal documents in place, accessing medical information, and even being informed about your child's medical condition can be difficult or, in some cases, impossible.



When sending kids off to college, it is important to consider the legal implications an accident or medical emergency might have on your ability to stay informed and participate in important decision making for your young adult child.  Medical professionals have a responsibility to follow the Privacy Rule of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which ensures medical privacy protection for all adults.  Once your child turns 18, they are (from a legal perspective) no more attached to you than a stranger, making communication about medical issues tricky if your child is incapacitated and not able to grant permission on their own.


In most states, there are three legal documents which can make all the difference when a medical crisis strikes and your young adult is far form home.  When used together, they can ensure a parent or trusted adult be kept in the loop about care and treatment when a child over the age of 18 experiences a medical event while they are away at college, traveling, or living far from home.  As with most legal documents, the law varies from state to state, so be sure to seek out the counsel of your Family Business Lawyer™ to determine which forms suit your situation best.


HIPAA - Essentially like a permission slip, this authorization allows your adult child to specify who is allowed access to their personal medical information.  Specific information can be specifically withheld, such as drug use, sexual activity, and mental health issues can so that additional privacy can be protected if desired.


Medical power of attorney - Designates an agent to make medical decisions for the young adult.  This could be you, as the parent or another trusted adult.  Each state has different laws governing medical power of attorney, thereby requiring different forms.  Be sure to check with you Family Business Lawyer™ to be sure you are following the laws of your state, as well as the state in which your child resides.



Durable financial power of attorney - Allows the parent of another trusted adult to take care of personal business in the event the adult child is unable to do so.  This form would allow the parent to take care of such important tasks such as signing tax returns, paying bills, and accessing bank accounts for the incapacitated adult child.  A durable power of attorney is indeed powerful and gives broad access to sensitive financial and legal decision making and should only be given to a trusted relative or friend.


The milestones come quickly once children graduate from high school and entire into the big, wide world away from home.  As your family navigates these significant rites of passage, be sure to consult us as your Family Business Attorney™ to determine the steps necessary to ensure excellent communication and peace of mind when a medical emergency arises.  Consider including your young adult children in the process.  We're here to help your family establish the legal and medical protections you all need to live the lives you desire.  In fact, this month, when you schedule and come in for a Family Wealth Planning Session™, we will create no-charge legal documents for your young adult child, as our gift to you.  Call our office at (650) 761-0992 and mention the "June graduation special" to get scheduled.




This article is a service of Sky Unlimited Legal Advisory, Family Business Lawyer®.  We don't just draft documents, we ensure you make informed and empowered decisions about life and death, for yourself and the people you love.  That's why we offer a Family Wealth Planning Session™, during which you will get more financially organized than you've ever been before, and make all the best choices for the people you love.  You can begin by calling our office at (650) 761-0992 today or book online to schedule a Family Wealth Planning Session.