Business growth is a dream that sparkles in the eyes of many small business owners. But bigger is only better when your business is set up to support the life you want.
Bigger is not necessarily better. Best is a business that supports you to have a life you love, with an income to match, providing services or products you are proud to deliver. So, how do you get there for sustainable success in 2022 and beyond? Let’s take a look together.
First and foremost, don’t worry about “scale” unless you are building a business that actually needs to scale. Instead, start by getting clear on what you are creating, why you are creating it, and what you need to do to get to just your own next level of income while freeing up your time, energy, and attention in the right amount so you can play your right role in your business.
Depending on your skills, talents, and desires, your right role may be to provide the service in your business, or make the products, while you hire out all of the admin, sales, marketing, and executive functions. Or, conversely, your right role may be to be the leader of your business, the strategist, visionary, and oversee sales, marketing, and executive functions while you hire out the sales or product delivery. Very rarely will it make sense for you to hold all the roles in your business, but unless you’ve got a proven product or service, and the sales, marketing, and delivery teams to support it, thinking about scale is not your next right step. However, if you do have a proven product or service and the sales, marketing, and delivery teams to support it, your next step may be scale.
As a Family Business Lawyer™, one of the things we can support you with as we move into 2022 is to get absolutely clear on where to focus your time, energy, attention, and money -- which we call your TEAM resources -- to align your desires for your life with your focus for the future of your business.
Factors we will focus on where to align the use of your resources toward the next level of growth of your business:
- Getting clear on exactly how much you want to earn from your business, and how much time, energy, and attention you have to earn it, and then identifying where the gaps are between your current income and your current use of time, energy, and attention so you can focus on filling those gaps, strategically.
- Streamlining your systems to increase productivity and efficiency. We’ll help you think about how best to improve your tech infrastructure, company policies, and workflow.
- Protecting your business from the potential pitfalls of growth. Rapid growth can expose you to vulnerable circumstances that can counteract the benefits of increased business. Small oversights can really add up when your business is experiencing rapid growth. We’ll help you to strengthen your legal, insurance, financial, and tax systems to support your next level of growth, so the “container” you’ve created can hold more, rather than “springing leaks” as you grow.
- Hiring key players for leverage. Who and how you hire can be one of the most important determiners of your next level of success, and the right agreements negotiated clearly can make all the difference.
- Building strategic partnerships that will see you through your growth. We can support your development with multiple vendor relationships so that they can meet your growing needs. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. And ensure you’ve got airtight agreements with vendors that properly share the risk. We can help with this too.
Growing your business sustainably is what we are all about. Now is the time to look at your next level of growth, and we’re here to support you. As your Family Business Lawyer™, we’re here to help you implement a legal, insurance, financial, and tax system that will ensure you can grow your business efficiently and worry-free.
Like what you're learning?
Sign up for our free newsletter
Notes from the Chief Counsel's Desk
and get more legal insights sent directly to your inbox.
Our Business Review Program is designed to help us understand where your business is now, where you want it to be in the future, and what are the gaps that may keep you from getting there.
We’ll create a plan to help you fill in the gaps so your time, energy and money stop leaking out.
This article is a service of Sky Unlimited Legal Advisory PC, Personal Family Lawyer® . We're not your traditional law firm, we stand apart from the rest by helping you make informed and empowered decisions on how to deal with your business throughout life and in the event of an emergency. We offer a complete spectrum of legal services, including a New Business Planning Session or an Existing Business Review Session, which includes a review of all the legal, insurance, financial, and tax systems you need for your business. You can begin by calling our office at (650) 761-0992 today or book online to schedule a Business Planning Session and mention this article to find out how to get this $950 session at no charge.
The strategies that are appropriate for protecting your assets are different for every family. Check out our proven process that gives you peace of mind...