A skilled attorney is a critical part of any business owner’s advisory team.
Business attorneys are equipped to assist you in handling a variety of tasks that can protect you from potential legal and business pitfalls, in addition to solving existing legal issues. As important as they are to your team, finding the right business attorney may be challenging if you do not know what to look for. Keeping in mind the following tips can help you find and choose the right business attorney.
1. Assess Your Needs. When you start looking for a business attorney, it is important to consider your specific legal needs. Attorneys experienced in certain niches may be better suited for the ongoing services your business requires. Consider the following types of legal assistance you may need:
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Buying or selling business assets
- Filing reports with the Secretary of State
- Representation in lawsuits
- Complying with laws
- Negotiating contracts
Different firms and attorneys may have practices that are structured to address different needs, even if they all identify as business attorneys. However, some firms have attorneys with diverse backgrounds to assist you in addressing all of your legal needs.
2. Research the Firm. Once you have assessed your needs, it is important to research potential attorneys. One of the first ways to do this is by asking your current network for referrals. By asking those familiar with you about their own legal experiences and connections, you can benefit from first-person impressions of the attorneys recommended. Public reviews are another tool for assessing attorneys.
A word of caution: Selecting an attorney simply because that attorney or firm appears at the top of your search results is not sufficient research.
For the most part, a law firm’s position in search results has more to do with its advertising and less to do with its experience and skill set. This is not to say that you should automatically discount the names that come up first. Rather, commit to being as intentional about researching their reputation from reviews and first-person experiences as you would for any other critical business decision.
3. Meet the Attorney. Once you have narrowed down your options, there are some questions to keep in mind when you are ready to meet with your prospective attorney:
- How familiar are they with your business and industry? How much experience do they have handling the issues relevant to your business?
- What is their reputation for success?
- What is their communication style? How often will they reach out to you?
- What are their billing practices?
- Who will actually be doing the legal work? Do they outsource any tasks?
- Do you feel comfortable enough to freely express your fears, concerns, and uncertainties?
- Do you trust their judgment?
These are broad questions, and there is no foolproof way to find an attorney, but there are ways to make more informed decisions. Pay attention to anything that gives you pause. If an attorney does not answer your questions or pressures you to make a hiring decision, these are signs that the attorney may not be the right fit for you.
As an informed buyer, it is important to keep your budget in mind, but when it comes to many products and services, the cheapest (or the most expensive) does not mean the best. An attorney’s rate is not necessarily the best indicator of that attorney’s skill.
Understand that the selection of your business attorney signifies the beginning of an ongoing relationship. It will be easier for both you and your attorney if there is continuity. You avoid bringing various parties up to speed every time you have a legal need, and the attorney has the foundational knowledge to understand where your business is legally situated.
Meet Our Team
Our attorneys are equipped to help you navigate the ups and downs of business ownership. We offer a broad range of legal services and the desire to help your business succeed. Call our office today and schedule a meeting with one of our experienced attorneys.
Like what you're learning?
Sign up for our free newsletter
Notes from the Chief Counsel's Desk
and get more legal insights sent directly to your inbox.
Sign up for our free educational event on
Legal Life Planning
to learn how you can protect your loved ones and assets when something happens to you.
This article is a service of Sky Unlimited Legal Advisory PC, Personal Family Lawyer® . We're not your traditional law firm, we stand apart from the rest by helping you make informed and empowered decisions on how to deal with your business throughout life and in the event of an emergency. We offer a complete spectrum of legal services, including a New Business Planning Session or an Existing Business Review Session, which includes a review of all the legal, insurance, financial, and tax systems you need for your business. You can begin by calling our office at (650) 761-0992 today or book online to schedule a Business Planning Session and mention this article to find out how to get this $950 session at no charge.
The strategies that are appropriate for protecting your assets are different for every family. Check out our proven process that gives you peace of mind...